Job Title: Architectural Designer
Reports To: Head of Design and Production
Work location: Oxfordshire, OX44 7XD
Hours: Will consider full time or part-time hours
ABOUT GREEN UNIT
Established 2012, Green Unit manufactures the ARC - a high quality, healthy and sustainable modular timber building system, which can be easily configured to create bespoke layouts. The components are constructed at Green Unit’s factory and built into building sections for transport to site, where buildings are installed and commissioned in days.
ARC modules can be configured to meet a range of market needs including residential, commercial, Healthcare and premium holiday accommodation.
After extensive testing, prototyping and development, the business has already manufactured and sold the concept models in to key target markets. The Company is now ready to scale its operations by moving to a new factory and also growing our team.
Architectural designer, you will work with the design, marketing and sales teams in the role of Lead Architect for Green unit, delivering building layouts, specifications, planning submissions, marketing and client-facing materials in accordance with the ARC modular building.
MAIN DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the ARC modular building system, its capacities, limitations, and manufacturing process.
- Liaise with the Head of Design to develop reliable procedures and manage work programmes for the Design department to include progress reporting, evaluation and continuous improvement strategies, to ensure consistent results.
- Create, update and maintain CAD templates as needed to ensure consistency of style and completeness in all architectural drawings.
- Produce designs and images of the proposed structure; including building layouts, elevations and specifications to meet the needs of clients and the in-house Marketing and Sales team
- Communicate effectively with clients, planning consultants and planners during the design development phase, and manage planning submissions.
- Work as part of the R&D team, developing new adaptions of the ARC system, product improvements and new marketable products for addition to the Green Unit portfolio.
- Continuously develop in the use of CAD and Photoshop, learning new processes and skills as part of continuous professional development, in order to prepare images of concept buildings, showing them furnished, in use, and in the landscape.
- Liaise with building regulations consultant, engineers, specialists and suppliers to ensure all designs are fully compliant at design stage.
- Produce production briefs for approved builds, detailing compliant specifications and configurations according to the client contract, and progress these with the Production and Procurement teams for implementation.
- Architectural designer or beyond
- Degree-level education, or similar
- Advanced CAD design skills, especially Rhino 5/6 (Grasshopper experience an advantage)
- Proficient in Photoshop, Excel, Word, & Powerpoint
- Knowledge of Solidworks an advantage, but not essential
- Excellent project management skills
- A track record of tenacity, focus, and the delivery of effective design solutions
- Enthusiastic and professional
- Tenacious attention to detail
- Enjoys creating architectural schemes to the point of meeting client needs
- Interest in physical building production, especially timber-based offsite and modular systems
- Knowledge of timber and building materials and construction techniques
- Good numeracy and literacy skills
- Marketing and commercial acumen
- Excellent ability to solve problems and analyse information competently.
- Excellent client-facing skills
- Personable, friendly and a team player
- Excellent future progression opportunities for the right person.
- A friendly and supportive environment.
- Salary £30,000 - £35,000, depending on experience (pro-rate for part-time hours)
- 20 days’ holiday (excluding Bank Holidays), increasing with service to a maximum of 25 days (pro-rata for part-time employees)
- Company Pension Scheme.
- Participation in the Company Incentive Scheme.
The post holder will live within a 45 minute commute of the Green Unit office/factory, or be willing to relocate to within that radius, and will hold a full driving licence.
This job description is not contractual and is liable to change over time.
Apply for Architectural Designer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly