To provide leadership to Simons Design, ensuring it provides excellent customer service that adds value to Simons Group’s overall service offering, profitability and growth. The role has full profit & loss responsibility.
The Design Director reports directly to the CEO and has the direct report responsibilities of all Line Managers within Simons Design.
1. Strategic Planning
Support Simons Group direction. Lead & prepare annual rolling business plan targets for Simons Design. These should be aligned to our skills/service offers and the needs of the sectors in which we operate. Along with any new or emerging markets.
2. Financial & Commercial
Manage the day to day P&L for Simons Design. With support from Group accounts, monitor and report against key monthly targets to Group board, whilst ensuring direct reports drive their financial/commercial sector objectives to support business plan growth.
3. Operations / People
Build great teams. Ensure staff have the required skills, knowledge and experiences to provide excellent customer service at all levels
Lead by example and ensure the team(s) are managed & motivated and trained to reach their full potential.
4. Business Development & Marketing
Secure growth through regular networking, communication and marketing.
Work closely with other Simons Group Business Unit Directors, direct reports and peers to ensure Simons Design is represented in ways that help secure new business and growth that supports our business plan.
5. HSQE, IT & Systems
Support the wider Group and assist in the implementation of robust Health, Safety and Quality management systems, whilst ensuring our IT infrastructure and equipment allows us to be efficient in our performance.
The focal point for knowledge, experience within the Design business and reporting directly to the Simons Group CEO.
RIBA, BSc(Hons), RICS or equivalent Design related degree. With a least 10yrs experience in architectural based practice.
Associate or Mid management level individual, with demonstrable experience across all five principal accountabilities.
Behaviour Competence/ Level
Put Safety First - Level 4
Business & Customer Awareness - Level 4
Communication - Level 4
Performing Through People - Level 4
Personal Effectiveness - Level 4
Continuous Improvement - Level 4
To develop a Design business that ensures close alignment to the Simons Group vision and enhances overall service delivery whilst delivering targeted profit contribution.
To act as a focal point for knowledge sharing and ensure consistency of design application
Provide management information and reports to demonstrate service levels agreed with customers are achieved
Ensure the profitable execution of design programmes
Ensure that projects are delivered in a manner that maintains and enhances the company’s name and reputation for quality and is in accordance with the company’s Business Plan
To plan, allocate and recruit where necessary the Design resources to ensure day to day workload is managed professionally
To develop the Design team, ensuring necessary skills are in place and that succession is planned for
Manage the team using performance management methodology allowing individuals to perform to their potential
Ensure that key client expectations in relation to requirements, budgets and project timetables are met and maintained at the highest standards
Ensure that all work is executed in accordance with the CDM regulations, and other relevant statutory and legal requirements
Ensure the design team actively engages with a customer relationship approach to attract new and repeat business to help win work through innovative thought process
Implement and maintain Health, Safety and Quality systems
Key Tasks / Technical Competencies
- Good understanding of the industry / business landscapes
- Preparing reports, presentations and business cases to support planned direction.
- Thorough understanding of RIBA work stages and alignment to drive to drive overall business needs
- Good understanding of supplementary services, process and obligations such as BREEAM, CDM (2015) Principal Designer, Design Management etc.
FINANCIAL & COMMERCIAL
- Management and implementation of all F&C processes associated with a ‘Fee’ based Consultancy service.
- Preparation of fee proposals, schedules of services etc
- Management of a ‘Cost & Value’ reconciliation model from which to drive monthly invoicing process.
- Tracking & monitoring of ‘fee variation’, additional / out of scope services.
- Managing, monitoring against Contracts of employments, SLA’s and Frameworks
PEOPLE / OPERATIONS
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Inspires, coaches and mentor’s others to deliver successfully
- Promotes a culture for team working and knowledge sharing.
- Experience in ‘Personal Development Planning, Appraisal processes
- Management of recruitment needs and succession planning
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT & MARKETING
- Development of Design specific brochures, website information and project based case studies in conjunction with Group Marketing and Comms.
- Attend, organise and follow up on regular networking opportunities to support the business plan agenda.
- Seek opportunities to promote service offering with other Consultants, Suppliers and Contacts with reciprocal business growth in mind.
HSQE, IT & SYSTEMS
- Awareness, understanding and continuous improvement of Design / Architectural based procedures to maintain our BSI certification.
- Implementation of new technologies, hardware/software to maintain the efficient delivery of a design service.
- Driving the business towards a ‘less paper’ environment and more in line with electronic /APP based systems.