As custodians of the Hadspen Estate in Somerset, we are presently engaged in a wide-ranging redevelopment of the property to restore the historic buildings and landscape of the Estate. The walled gardens associated with Hadspen House, which were once a much respected visitor garden will be reopened to the public in 2019 as the central feature of a significant and entirely new visitor attraction including cider making, garden museum, farm shop, café and estate landscape walks. Hadspen House and the historic farm buildings surrounding it will simultaneously open as part of a new luxury hotel and spa experience. It is anticipated that the Estate will attract over 100,000 visitors per year and in time become one of the region’s most popular visitor destinations.
We are looking for an architectural assistant or technician to assist our busy in-house projects team with the design development and execution of many exciting landscape design and construction projects across the 1300 acre estate. Working daily on site and reporting directly to the Estate’s Architect, you will be involved in developing the detailed design and producing construction drawings for a wide variety of projects ranging across scales from detail to strategic. A significant component of the role will focus on developing estate-wide maps, plans and proposals eg developing a plan of new footpaths and tracks etc. Alongside the projects team you will also take a hand in coordinating, overseeing and reporting on works under construction on site. This is a dynamic and fast-paced role where projects are intended to progress quickly from design to construction and then to completion!
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A hands-on, practical, energetic and positive personality is essential.
- You will be versatile and ready to take on a broad range of different design tasks with a good degree of autonomy.
- You will have a good working knowledge of construction detailing, materials and building methods with particular reference to garden, landscape and groundworks.
- You will be a skilled and current user of CAD (AutoCAD), Photoshop, SketchUp as well as hand drafting/rendering for the development of ideas, detailed designs and construction information.
- You should be experienced in surveying, mapping and setting out.
- You will be adept at understanding, interpreting and working with topographical surveys and site plans to develop effective and attractive presentation plans/maps.
- General horticultural/arboricultural knowledge with an interest in a woodland/parkland setting is desirable.
- You should have an interest in the local natural landscape, materials, flora and fauna, as well as the architectural history/vernacular of our rural Somerset setting.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Six month fixed term contract of full time employment offered.
- Competitive remuneration package to be discussed with short listed candidates.
- Work place pension scheme available.
Shortlisted applicants for the position may be expected to submit to psychometric testing, criminal record checks as well as checks to confirm their Right to Work in the UK as part of the interview process.
Candidates should send their application letter, CV and references to Katie Lewis (Estate Architect) firstname.lastname@example.org.