Regional Manager, Architecture, Design and Construction – MEA
To provide project advice and technical guidance to franchisees, managed partners and their nominated representatives to ensure the construction, new build, conversion and refurbishment of Wyndham Hotel Group properties within the framework of all Wyndham family brand standards. The incumbent will be in charge of reviewing conceptual site plans or site assessment for potential franchise new construction and conversion projects as well as architectural and FF&E development services for conversions, reviewing architectural plans specifications and design submittals and performing site visits to hotels under construction for inspection. They will also work to develop, document and deliver TSAs (Technical Service Agreements) as part of any new franchise or managed agreement or renewal. The incumbent will build professional and long lasting relationships with franchisees and managed partners and their representatives to provide consultative advice on projects whilst protecting the Company’s brand and products. They will also develop relationships and manage external suppliers and consultants to ensure that the company stays at the cutting edge of best construction and design practices including conceptual design and operational function. They will also liaise daily with internal colleagues within the development and operations teams as well as play a significant part in assessing potential projects in preparation for the internal approvals process, the International Approvals Committee (IAC).
- Manage across multiple brands and countries in conjunction with many external business partners and internal colleagues (Development, Franchisees, external technical consultants etc.)
- Take initiative to avoid problems and anticipate the needs of team members. When problems occur, take positive steps to solve them. Bring relevant issues to immediate attention of Vice President - Architecture, Design and Construction for resolution
- Participate in site visit/market survey to develop better understanding of site / market demands and evaluates design implications for products
- Manage the process for applying lessons learnt from prior projects to current / future projects.
- The Manager will be required to make decisions on behalf of the company to ensure the continuation of projects on time and within budget. These decisions must be made effectively to maximise performance and efficiency
At any one time the job holder is managing multiple (up to 30), mid size to large scaled hotel projects in various construction stages. Therefore there is a direct influence, risk and impact to the overall achievement to International team’s annual and longer term room opening goal(s) and associated revenue streams as a result of delayed openings • To add value and revenue to the business via functioning TSA agreements • Manage time allocation on projects in accordance with specific project budget or allocations as established by VP A,D&C EMEA • Manage consultant’s proposals, contracts and invoicing • Manage own travel budget • The role will involve 60% travel throughout the MEA region
- Make decisions or solve problems by using logic to identify key facts, explore alternatives, and proposes creative quality solutions
- Communicate information and ideas clearly, and concisely, verbally, in drawings and in writing as well as be the ability to read and understand information presented in drawings and architectural sketches or diagrams
- Evaluate information against a set of standards and criteria
- Read, interpret and apply laws/regulations, policies and procedures with respect for differences in culture and legislation in different territories
- Reporting and project management skills of the highest quality
- The ability to anticipate, course correct and avoid potential problems or obstacles.
- Excellent oral & written communications skills / excellent interpersonal skills
- Good understanding of architectural design, particularly in the hotel industry.
- Good technical and project management skills
- Computer skills: including experience of architectural software such as AutoCAD, word processing, spreadsheet, database, project planning and scheduling to a professional level of competence
- Degree in Architecture or related construction or design discipline from an accredited college or university
- Post graduate qualification in project management or business administration.
- Significant and progressive post qualification experience at design firm or in house in large commercial or hospitality projects
- Fluency in English essential and Arabic and French preferred
- Proven experience in project management and delivery
- Conceptual design / freehand sketching ability
- Competent user of Microsoft office and CAD packages
Reports to the Director, AD&C Middle East, Eurasia and Africa. Liaises significantly with the Development, Operations and Legal functions as well as providing consultative advice to business partners and franchisees and their representatives. The incumbent is required to represent the business within the architectural, construction and design community with suppliers and external consultants.