Architecture Department Head
Department of Architecture • Texas A&M University
Texas A&M University’s College of Architecture invites applications and nominations for the position of Head, Department of Architecture.
The Department of Architecture is located in the College of Architecture at Texas A&M University, along with the Departments of Construction Science, Landscape Architecture and Urban Planning, and Visualization. The College is home to a diverse and comprehensive array of disciplines and degree-granting programs related to the natural, built, and virtual environments. The College has a strong reputation in the areas of teaching, research, and service and encourages interdisciplinary cooperation among administrators, departments, faculty, and students. Five research centers, two research institutes, several laboratories and advanced fabrication facilities support trans-disciplinary projects of benefit to the academic and public sectors.
The Department of Architecture is home to more than 45 full and part-time faculty and home to more than 555 undergraduate and graduate students. The Department of Architecture educates students, creates and disseminates new knowledge in the theory and practice of architectural design. It creatively impacts society by designing environments that foster economic, social, and ecological responsibility. To achieve this mission, the Department engages in teaching, research, and service in keeping with the important mandate of a land-grant university. Programs include the Bachelor of Environmental Design and the M.S., M. Arch, and Ph.D. in Architecture. At the graduate level, students may concentrate in architectural design and practice, building information modeling, architectural history and theory, energy, hazard reduction, health systems, adaptive reuse, facility management, and sustainable urbanism. The Master of Architecture program is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB).
The successful candidate will bring vision and leadership to maintain excellence with respect to the mission of the department and will demonstrate significant evidence of accomplishment in:
• Leadership in professional architectural education and involvement in design, practice, and industry
• Academic leadership and management in a multi-disciplinary environment of the college and university
• Interdisciplinary research, scholarship, and creative endeavors
• Entrepreneurial spirit and vision to navigate change in architectural education
• Effective and fair administration of human and financial resources
• Advocacy for architecture and architectural education
• Obtaining external financial support.
• Candidate must have a graduate degree
• Candidate must have significant professional or academic experience; architectural licensure preferred
• Candidate must have demonstrated knowledge, experience, and record of excellence in architectural education, professional practice, or industry.
• Candidate must be qualified and able to teach graduate and/or undergraduate courses.
• Credentials that merit appointment at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor.
Applications should include a letter of interest that addresses administrative experience, leadership philosophy, and vision of professional architectural education; a curriculum vitae; contact information (name, address, phone number, and email) for at least five references. The Search Committee may request additional materials. Application materials must be received by October 16, 2017. Applications, nominations, and inquiries should be sent to:
Chair, Architecture Head Search Committee
ATTN: Tim McLaughlin
3137 TAMU, College of Architecture
Texas A&M University
College Station, Texas 77843-3137
Information on the College of Architecture is available at www.arch.tamu.edu Information on the Department of Architecture is available at dept.arch.tamu.edu The Texas A&M University system will provide equal opportunity to all applicants for employment, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.