Design Focused RIBA Part I and II Architectural Assistant
6 days left
- Full Time
JOB DESCRIPTION –
Opportunity to rapidly gain exposure and experience in all stages of architectural activities. Work on design focussed projects from inception to completion in a friendly and dynamic team.
RIBA Part I and II Architectural Assistants with a minimum of 1 year’s experience
Concept 8 Architects Ltd are an award winning, vibrant practice dedicated to the creation of high quality, innovative residential buildings, from smaller-scale design focussed householder extensions to large new-build houses and apartment schemes for developers. We have grown steadily over the past few years to a team of 10, and pride ourselves in offering varied opportunities to all staff, aiding their professional development and remunerating them well with a combination of competitive salary and annual bonus.
With a steadily increasing scale of projects, we are now looking to add 2-3 further team members to our studio who can expect to be involved in interesting projects from inception through to completion, being involved across all RIBA stages on a daily basis. We have a strong local presence in Surrey, South West and Central London, and are well respected for delivering a quality product and professional service.
We operate out of an impressive studio based in Weybridge, Surrey, with our staff living in areas such as Clapham, Putney and Richmond, all enjoying the benefit of a commute against the traffic. We have excellent staff retention and make great effort to ensure the studio environment is open and friendly, with a strong social atmosphere and focus on a good work-life balance.
More information on the practice’s work is available on our website: www.concept8.co.uk.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
We are currently looking for a proactive design focused part 1 and 2 assistant architects and junior interior designers with plenty of ambition and drive to join our friendly and talented team based out of our design studio in Surrey. You must be CAD proficient and able to work on AutoCAD. The right candidate will have specific opportunity to see a number of Prime Central London, South West London and Surrey projects from inception through to completion.
The candidate would be responsible for the day-to-day delivery of one or more of these projects, reporting to an Associate Architect or Director.
As a job runner there is a specific opportunity to see a design focused Central London project from inception through to completion. You will have the opportunity to be exposed to all RIBA stages. You will also have the opportunity to see a project from inception to completion within 12-15 months.
Typical duties are set out below, but will vary from project to project.
POSITION DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Project delivery includes:
- Concept and detail design work
- Conditions surveys and historic building appraisals
- Production of presentation material,
- Technical development of projects
- Delivery of production information
- Production of reports, drawings, schedules and specifications
- Submission of planning and listed building applications, including writing heritage impact assessments and design and access statements
- Submission of building regulation applications, including coordination of technical material
- Site co-ordination and building contract administration
Project management duties include:
- Report to project leader / Director on progress of project(s) and project risks
- Monitor project costs and profitability
- Planning, programming and monitoring of design work to meet deadlines
- Coordination of work produced by project team, including Consultants
- Liaise with the client, consultants, local planning authorities, and other statutory bodies and committees
- Ensure project QM, CDM / H&S files are maintained in accordance with practice standards
- Prepare agenda and minutes for project meetings and ability (where required) to chair meetings
- General office duties include:
- Ensure office/practice standards adhered to
- Promote an environment where all team members can work to their strengths
- Identify own training needs
- Keep abreast of all regulatory development
- Attend regular team meetings
- Contribute to team successes
- Set a positive example
This section sets out the requirements, competencies, skills and qualities that are sought:
- A desire to develop themselves professional and utilise C8 support during RIBA Part 2 or 3
- Part 1 – Must have passed degree and undertaken relevant level of experience (see below).
- Part 2 - Passed RIBA Pt 2 exam/ achieve a postgraduate diploma
- At least 12 months’ relevant architectural experience (RIBA Part 1 experience is acceptable)
- An enthusiasm for both residential architecture and quality design solutions
- An excellent command of English, both written and spoken
- Will need to be able to communicate effectively over the telephone with clients, suppliers and other professionals
IT and other competencies
- Ability to hand-draw and sketch to a decent standard
- Good command of CAD (Concept 8 Architects work in AutoCAD and Rhinoceros)
- Good command of office systems (Word, Excel) - essential
- Good presentation skills (Photoshop & Indesign desirable)
- Good modelling skills (Sketch-up and/or other 3D-modelling packages desirable)
Professional practice skills
The candidate must be able to demonstrate competence in most if not all of the following areas:
- Ability to carry out duties of an Architect as set out in the RIBA’s Job Book or if not fully qualified at least close to this standard
- Excellent design skills, with the ability to explore and present thoughtful options for review and development
- Good detailing skills, with sound knowledge of building technologies, materials and how they are assembled
- Sound knowledge of technical standards, regulatory frameworks and CDM / H&S requirements
- Personable, sociable and a positive member of the team
- Offer opinion and review colleagues’ work
- Present your ideas to the team for them to review your designs
- Work across teams and assist others on their projects
- Arrange relevant CPD’s and suggest technical engagement for the team
- Get involved in non-work team social and sports activities
- Office management tasks shared by all team members in the office
Apply for Design Focused RIBA Part I and II Architectural Assistant
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly