Design Focused Qualified Architect
JOB DESCRIPTION –
Opportunity to rapidly develop yourself into a well-rounded architect with a high level of responsibility and ownership of projects from inception to completion.
3-5 Years Qualified Architect (RIBA and ARB registered)
Concept 8 Architects Ltd are an award winning, vibrant practice dedicated to the creation of high quality, innovative residential buildings, from smaller-scale design focused householder extensions to large new-build houses and apartment schemes for developers. We have grown steadily over the past few years to a team of 10, and pride ourselves in offering varied opportunities to all staff, aiding their professional development and remunerating them well with a combination of competitive salary and annual bonus.
With a steadily increasing scale of projects, we are now looking to add 2 further team members to our studio who can expect to be involved in interesting projects from inception through to completion, being involved across all RIBA stages on a daily basis. We have a strong local presence in Surrey, South West and Central London, and are well respected for delivering a quality product and professional service.
We operate out of an impressive studio based in Weybridge, Surrey, with our staff living in areas in Central and South West London, all enjoying the benefit of a commute against the traffic, as well as local Surrey and Hampshire locations. We have excellent staff retention and make great effort to ensure the studio environment is open and friendly, with a strong social atmosphere and focus on a good work-life balance.
More information on the practice’s work is available on our website: www.concept8.co.uk.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The practice has a growing workload of projects both in London and Surrey. The ideal candidate would be someone who is keen to progress their career and take on a high level of responsibility on the day-to-day delivery of one or more of these projects, reporting to an Associate Architect or Director.
Specific current projects which the new member would be involved in include a major luxury new build house, which is currently on-site, and a multi-unit new build apartment scheme at tender stage, alongside driving early design proposals for other projects of various scales.
The candidate will have exposure to all RIBA stages and will be dealing with clients, colleagues, suppliers, statutory bodies and contractors – ensuring a broad variety of work on a daily basis. While initially reporting to a line manager, the candidate’s long term goal should be to take ownership of an increasing number and complexity of projects to develop themselves in to a well-rounded architect and key member of the studio.
Typical duties are set out below, but will vary from project to project.
Project delivery includes:
- Concept and detail design work
- Conditions surveys and historic building appraisals
- Production of presentation material,
- Technical development of projects
- Delivery of production information
- Production of reports, drawings, schedules and specifications
- Submission of planning and listed building applications, including writing heritage impact assessments and design and access statements
- Submission of building regulation applications, including coordination of technical material
- Site co-ordination and building contract administration
Project management duties include:
- Report to project leader / Director on progress of projects and project risks
- Monitor project costs and profitability
- Planning, programming and monitoring of design work to meet deadlines
- Coordination of work produced by project team, including Consultants
- Liaise with the client, consultants, local planning authorities, and other statutory bodies and committees
- Ensure project QM, CDM / H&S files are maintained in accordance with practice standards
- Prepare agenda and minutes for project meetings and ability (where required) to chair meetings
General office duties include:
- Ensure office/practice standards adhered to
- Promote an environment where all team members can work to their strengths
- Identify own training needs
- Keep abreast of all regulatory development
- Attend regular team meetings
- Contribute to team successes
- Set a positive example
This section sets out the requirements, competencies, skills and qualities that are sought:
- A desire to develop themselves professionally, with ownership of projects
- ARB and RIBA registered
- Have excellent design skills and experience in high-end residential projects
- An excellent command of English, both written and spoken
- Comfortable with a client facing role and acting as a representative of the company
- Present their projects confidently
- Undertake technical research relevant to projects
- Assist other team members
- Good problem solving skills
IT and other competencies
- Ability to hand-draw and sketch to a decent standard
- Good command of CAD (Concept 8 Architects work in AutoCAD)
- Good command of office systems (Word, Excel) - essential
- Good presentation skills (Photoshop & In- design desirable)
- Good modelling skills (Concept 8 Architects work in SketchUp)
Professional practice skills
The candidate must be able to demonstrate competence in most if not all of the following areas:
- University level education for both RIBA Part I and Part II in UK universities
- Ability to carry out duties of an Architect as set out in the RIBA’s Job Book
- Excellent design skills, with the ability to explore and present thoughtful options for review and development
- Good detailing skills, with sound knowledge of building technologies, materials and how they are assembled
- Sound knowledge of technical standards, regulatory frameworks and CDM / H&S requirements
- Personable, sociable and a positive member of the team
- Offer opinion and review colleagues’ work
- Present your ideas to the team for them to review your designs
- Work across teams and assist others on their projects
- Arrange relevant CPD’s and suggest technical engagement for the team
- Get involved in non-work team social and sports activities
- Office management tasks shared by all team members in the office