Skidmore, Owings & Merrill Inc (SOM) is one of the leading architecture, interior design, engineering, and urban planning firms in the world, with a reputation for design excellence and a portfolio that includes some of the most important architecture of the 20th and 21st centuries. Since its inception, SOM has been a leader in the research and development of innovative technologies, processes, and ideas, many of which have had a lasting impact on the built environment. The firm has been honoured with more than 1,700 awards.
SOM typically works on large, complex projects and has developed a leadership structure where each project has a senior designer, senior technical architect and project manager. The project manager is responsible for relationships with clients, consultants and all other stakeholders.
SOM seeks an experienced Project Manager with at least 6-8 years of progressively responsible project experience and demonstrated knowledge of architectural design, drafting, detailing, building materials, building codes, construction techniques and costs. The ideal candidate will be educated to a Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Engineering or a related field at a minimum. Strong analytical, oral and written communication skills with the ability to build quick rapport with all levels of employees, clients, consultants and vendors are key along with the ability to identify and solve problems and resolve conflict. The successful candidate will be confident in representing SOM domestically and abroad and demonstrate responsibility for projects with limited senior management oversight.
- Reconciles the goals and priorities of SOM with those of our clients while fostering opportunities for design and technical excellence;
- Manages projects towards profitability, monitors and documents project process while protecting SOM from financial and legal risk;
- Contributes to SOM’s leadership by enabling clear communications among team leaders, consultants and clients while promoting professional relationships internally and externally;
- Promotes Project Management as a discipline within and outside of SOM;
- Develops and maintains a Project Plan for each project.
In Conjunction with Senior Project Manager, Director and Partner:
- Prepares services agreement in conjunction with Project Partner;
- Receives and distributes project communication regarding delivery of services to all team leaders;
- Schedules and chairs all client meetings. Records the minutes of these meetings and documents action items;
- Monitors services vis-à-vis the contact requirements and identifies changes in project scope, schedule or service that result in supplemental or additional services and bring such changes to the immediate attention of the client and Project Partner;
- Prepares, in conjunction with Project Accountant, appropriate billings and pursues payment compliant with services agreement;
- Maintains and updates project data in a timely fashion to insure accurate reporting of earnings and accurate billings;
- Reviews timecards on a weekly basis to insure consistency with Project Plan.
- Supervises one or more employees;
- Participates in marketing and business development;
- Actively pursues opportunities for professional development.