Senior Architectural Technologist
HTC Architects are looking for an enthusiastic, ambitious talented Senior Architectural Technologist to join our busy and expanding city centre practice. Our Leeds office is currently made up of 19 staff working on projects based in the industrial and retail sectors. The role will provide the opportunity to work on retail and commercial projects with our key clients along with ongoing development of the practice and your career progression. We are an equal opportunities employer and offer a flexible approach to working hours along with a competitive salary package. You will have a proven track record of managing projects and excellent communications skills. Vectorworks experience or the enthusiasm to learn quickly. Previous experience working on commercial and retail projects is required.
Senior Architectural Technologist – Main Job Description
As either a chartered architectural technologist or working towards (MCIAT) you're qualified to lead a project from inception to completion. You'll specialise in the technology of architecture, focusing on the design of buildings for use and performance. A minimum of 5 – 10 years proven experience required for this role.
Your work will include conception and technical design, development and detailing, construction technology, contract administration, sustainability and creating inclusive environments. Architectural technology can be applied in the case of refurbishment, alteration and other construction projects.
As an architectural technologist, you'll need to:
- meet with other professionals and clients at an early stage to agree on the project brief
- understand how the design aspects of a construction project influence and relate to performance and functional issues, so that practical questions can be addressed at the outset
- evaluate and advise on environmental, legal and regulatory issues
- contribute to planning applications and other regulatory application procedures
- identify the surveys (e.g. land surveys) required before work can commence, ensuring they're undertaken, and their results are fed into the project
- develop project briefs and work on these as the project progresses
- prepare and present design proposals using computer-aided design (CAD) and other design software, the practice currently uses Vectorworks as well as Photoshop and InDesign.
- lead the detailed design process and coordinate design information
- advise clients on procuring the best and most appropriate contracts for the work they are undertaking
- liaise with appropriate authorities (e.g. planning enquiries and building inspectors) when producing documentation for statutory approval
- produce, analyse and advise on detailed specifications for suitable materials or processes to be used
- carry out design-stage risk assessments
- administer contracts and project certifications
- manage the work of trainee technologists and contribute to the overall running of the business
- obtain feedback from clients and people using the building, reporting on the performance of the contractors once construction is completed
- appraise the performance of buildings which are in use and produce maintenance management information
- evaluate and advise on refurbishment, re-use, recycling and deconstruction.
Salary and Benefits
- Depending on experience.
- Working hours are typically 9am to 5.30pm although extra hours, including travel and overnight stays may be required, especially as deadlines approach.
- 20 days leave of your choice together with a shut down over Christmas and all the bank holidays.
We offer a friendly working environment with good prospects for career development and advancement within the practice.
Structured CPD programmes and in-house training given.
Professional fees/Subscriptions paid
Ideally degree in Building technology or equivalent leading to a MCIAT qualification.
You'll need to show:
- leadership skills and a willingness to take on responsibility
- good communication skills, as interaction with other professionals, authorities and clients occurs frequently
- the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- a logical and practical approach to problem solving
- an eye for detail and design, with the ability to visualise objects in three dimensions (3D)
- planning and organisation skills.
Apply for Senior Architectural Technologist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly