Associate Urban Designer/ Masterplanner
This is an opportunity for an experienced Senior or Associate Urban Designer/Masterplanner to play a key part in developing and delivering design opportunities for an AJtop50 practice based in Birmingham. You will be joining a friendly, inclusive and supportive company, with genuine career opportunities based on merit.
My client is an established practice led by 19 Partners and employing approximately 350 employees in 13 regional offices across the UK. Their portfolio includes residential and commercial schemes, mixed use masterplans and layouts, new settlements, extensions to existing towns, infrastructure-led new communities, regeneration and community-led development proposals.
The Midlands Design team is looking for an Associate Urban Designer / Masterplanner to work alongside the Design Director and newly established Design team. The Birmingham office boasts a friendly and busy atmosphere. Conveniently located within the heart of the town centre it has easy access to public transport, including being a short walk from both New Street and Snow Hill Stations.
Role & Responsibilities
- Developing and delivering design opportunities and assisting with raising the profile of the Design team, whilst working collaboratively alongside the established Town Planning team
- Provide mixed use and residential masterplans for UK projects and produce urban design concepts supported by well-considered design rationales that take account of technical constraints
- Develop design concepts from initial ideas through to sketch layouts
- Present to a variety of audiences, including clients and large external multi-disciplinary consultancy teams and develop and maintain client relationships; acting as the day to day contact
- Set internal deadlines and manage workload, working to defined briefs and tight deadlines
- Assist/facilitate at public exhibitions and community engagement workshops to inform the design process
Required Skills & Experience
- Experience of working on large scale UK residential and mixed use development masterplans, including new settlements and urban extensions in an Urban Design or Masterplanning role
- Either an MA or Postgraduate Diploma in Urban Design and a genuine enthusiasm for creating new high quality and sustainable communities
- Experience within an Urban Design or Masterplanning role in a consultancy environment
- The ability to manage projects and coordinate the production of Design and Access Statements
- Experience and enthusiasm for community engagement (exhibitions and workshops)
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite and Sketchup and the ability to produce high quality hand drawings
- An interest in networking opportunities and willingness to develop good business development skills
- The ability to coordinate large amounts of technical information
- Excellent team working skills, with the ability to lead workshops and develop consensus amongst multiple stakeholder groups
- The ability to work independently, managing your own time and workload to meet deadlines
What you get back
- Competitive Salary – depending on experience
- Profit share bonus
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work
- Healthcare assistance
- CPD Training and unlimited opportunities for Career Progression
- Social events and Team building
- Charity Events - The company even offers to match funds raised for their selected charities!
What employees say
It’s an exciting place to work due to the collaborative nature of the office. Having so many complementary professions working in one space is a new but very positive experience for me!” - Architectural Assistant.
Did you know we run a referral scheme? We’ll give you £300 worth of vouchers if you introduce us to anyone who we then successfully place in a new job role. Just send us their information and we’ll do the rest.
Terms: A candidate is deemed to have been successfully placed once they have started a new job as a result of an introduction made by Hunter Dunning and when they’ve successfully completed the probation period.